Tuesday, October 2, 2007

On Teachers

A vocation is an occupation, either professional or voluntary, that is carried out more for its altruistic benefit than for income, which might be regarded as a secondary aspect of the vocation, however beneficial. Vocations can be seen as fulfilling a psychological or spiritual need for the worker, and the term can also be used to describe any occupation for which a person is specifically gifted, and usually implies that the worker has a form of "calling" for the task. Source

PTA meetings are not a time to get emotional. When the kids were little, I was in a meeting almost every week and hearing not a single word. I was planning menus in my head, mentally checking the contents of the refrigerator or philosophizing on the essence of housework.



There was once, however, I noticed everyone else was silent. The speaker spoke passionately about bringing up our children to be teachers. It was a vocation, Sister ___ said, this desire to teach.



It was a time when there was a serious scarcity. Most who qualified the Board went off to other countries to be nannies. They taught other peoples' kids. I understand where Sister was coming from. It was an exclusive girls' school and the perfect source for future teachers already ingrained with their vision. It was a prayer that their school would go on with alumnae on their faculty.



Only to these teachers did I totally entrust my young children. Separately, we would do our best to mold their minds and spirits. And while the kids are now in college, I still want the assurance that they learn from the best. Yet if they were unwilling, from whom would our kids learn? Somebody has to do it, not just anyone. Our young Filipinos deserve the best.



I especially love public school teachers! They are in the front lines during elections. They show up before and during registration, revision and elections. And if they don't, they'd be subject to arrest. And while candidates' watchers have relievers, these poor people require bladders of steel, digestive systems of camels and all the patience in the Old Testament. Try being meticulous and accommodating when you've been up 16 hours. They personify virtue.



My youngest daughter is a freshman in Education. Though our reasons are more practical than idealistic, it's enough. I'm also asking my other daughters to take enough education units at least to qualify as instructors. I dare most of my children's friends as well, to consider teaching as a first or part-time job. It's a mission which began with a PTA appeal.

5 comments:

  1. Teaching is really a noble profession, and I for one have done it. It was fun and challenging to do it for love of teaching, but it is not really advisable to do it for a living or to say it more blatantly, for money. Because then, as an educator you would lose sight of what really teaching is.

    Regarding public school teachers, I really have a hard time believing that they will be doing what they are doing during elections if was not mandatory. As for their teaching skills, I wouldn't really know, but observing most kids they produce in public schools compared to the ones in private schools, I think positive adjustments are necessary. Although was I just said was very much debatable for there are many factors that affect a child's personality and intelligence. But hey, students spend more time in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. errata:

    Again I am thinking faster than I am typing.

    Regarding public school teachers, I really have a hard time believing that they will be doing what they are doing during elections if IT was not mandatory.

    Although WHAT I just said was very much debatable for there are many factors that affect a child's personality and intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I think those who have their children in private school should encourage teaching as a profession. We can raise the standards considerably for the generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post.

    One of the ironies I've found teaching is that parents will demand that their children be educated as well as humanly possible, but then scoff when the child even considers the idea of choosing teaching as a career.

    I've taught some really smart students who were rather forcibly persuaded by their parents to follow more conventional -- and financially safe -- careers.

    So if the smart folks don't go into teaching, who will teach your kids?

    I suspect this question doesn't keep them up at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I'm really passionate about. Everyone who has a little extra knowledge shouldn't hesitate to impart it in a classroom.

    It's all to our benefit.

    ReplyDelete